Monday, March 10, 2008

Bed Bug Sniffing Dogs

Many of you may have read or seen on TV stories about dogs that have been trained to sniff bed bugs. Now, Advanced K9 Detectives, a company that boasts a pack of bed bug sniffing dogs that can quickly, cheaply-and most importantly, effectively-sniff a room for bed bugs following an exterminator's visit.

It amazes me how dogs' powerful sense of smell-which can be as much as 2,000 times stronger than that of a human-can be capitalized on to detect so many different things. There are even dogs who can sniff out bootleg DVDs!

But I am not interested in hiring Advanced K9 or any other similar company; I want to know how a dog can be properly trained to detect bed bugs. I would love to buy a beagle or any other breed that could accurately pinpoint the secret locations of the bed bugs in my home, because although I haven't been bitten in a long time, I do occasionally come across a dead bed bug or two, which makes me believe they're still out there, like Al-Qaeda, silently waiting to execute their next great attack.

Would anyone know if this is possible for a civilian to own a detection dog? M loves dogs and I know a trained bed bug sniffing dog would be an incredible bonus to having a dog living with us.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I would guess you could train them the same way that bloodhounds are trained to be able to track down a human by sniffing a piece of their clothing. It should be pretty easy to find those training methods on the internet. The problem is you would probably need a source of live bed bugs to use during the training.

Anonymous said...

Canine dogs must go through a minimum of 800 hours of training. The master trainer is Bill Whitstine at the Florida Academy Canine. Look him up on the Internet..There are a lot of fake companies out there. If they were not trained by Bill, they are not really authentic. Visit www.radicalsolutionsbedbugdetection.com for information on bedbug detection dogs. We are a legitimate company with certified canines Target and Energi. Bill also sells the dogs already trained and you have to go to Florida to be trained to be a dog handler..Cost??? $8.700 per dog. Call me if you need our services at 718-717-6652. Also check out the Florida Canine Academy website.

parlie anderson said...

I would like to say that your blog is well-written.It's nice to find a site you can trust.Visit http://www.pestmanagementinc.com this site was recommended by a friend so I tried it.Bed Bug Dogs